Diagnosis and Treatment of Thyroid Problems
Endocrinologist in Miami Beach, FL
Thyroid ultrasound uses high-frequency sound waves to produce images of the thyroid gland, typically to evaluate lumps or nodules found during a routine physical. This is a safe and painless way to visualize the thyroid gland in order to:
- Analyze the appearance of a thyroid nodule to determine if it’s benign or requires a biopsy
- Determine whether a thyroid nodule is fluid-filled like a cyst or solid, which is more likely to be cancerous
- Search for additional nodules
- Evaluate whether a nodule has grown over time
- Check nearby lymph nodes; if enlarged, this could indicate the spread of thyroid cancer
Unlike X-rays, ultrasound examinations do not expose patients to ionizing radiation. Also, because ultrasound images are captured in real-time, ultrasound is used to guide procedures such as fine needle aspiration, in which a sample of cells from a nodule is extracted for laboratory testing.
Schedule Your Thyroid Ultrasound Today!
Board certified in endocrinology, diabetes, and metabolism, Dr. Lurie uses the most advanced technology to provide his patients with the highest quality medical care. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Lurie, call our Miami Beach office at (305) 456-4840 or use our online appointment request form.