Endocrinologist in Miami Beach, FL
Located in Miami Beach, Florida, the endocrinology office of Dr. Alexander Lurie is devoted to diagnosing, treating, and managing all types of endocrine disorders, the most common of which include type 1 and type 2 diabetes, gestational diabetes, thyroid diseases such as thyroid nodules and thyroid cancer, obesity, hypogonadism, and calcium and bone disorders such as osteoporosis.
Specialized Endocrinology Services
- Thyroid ultrasound, which uses sound waves to produce images of the thyroid gland in the neck to evaluate lumps or nodules.
- Ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration (FNA) biopsy of thyroid nodules. Cell samples are sent to a lab for evaluation by a pathologist to determine whether the nodules are malignant or benign.
- Interpretation of continuous glucose monitor (CGM) data for patients with type 1 or type 2 diabetes. A CGM is an excellent way to monitor and help manage blood glucose levels. The device includes a sensor that inserts just under the skin. It measures the blood sugar every five minutes and transmits the data to a receiver or smartphone. Dr. Lurie can download this data in our office and use it to make adjustments to your insulin dosages.
- Insulin pump management for diabetic patients. Many of our patients prefer to wear an insulin pump rather than give themselves multiple daily insulin injections. An insulin pump provides a continuous dose of insulin 24/7 and allows patients to give themselves insulin to correct a high blood sugar level or to cover the carbohydrates in meals and snacks. It can be programmed to provide different dosages throughout the day and adjusted to account for exercise, hormonal changes, and patterns of high or low blood sugar.
- Consultation with educators and nutritionists to help manage diabetes. Type 1 and type 2 diabetes are extremely complex and can be very difficult to manage. Patients often need education and support from experts such as a certified diabetes educator (CDE) or registered dietitian. These professionals can train you how to use devices such as an insulin pump or CGM, and they can help you understand how lifestyle choices and other factors impact your blood glucose levels.
For Diagnosis and Treatment of Diabetes and Thyroid Disease, Contact Dr. Lurie Today!
If you suspect you have a thyroid disorder, or you have diabetes and need an expert endocrinologist to help you manage your condition, then you need to see Dr. Lurie. To make an appointment with him, contact our endocrinology office at (305) 456-4840 or you can request one online.
Resources for Patients
Below are links to useful information about thyroid procedures, diabetes devices, and insulin injections.